Monday, October 20, 2008

Cooter's Revenge!



Yesterday was an awesome day of racing. The ICS-Chain Reaction crew has once again shown that they are very serious about the sport of cross with an amazing course! The racing was hot with many of the fields getting 3-5 man splits off the front that were just rolling at criterium speeds. The belgian weather we were hoping for gave way to one of those beautiful Alabama days that you just can't help but love. Cooter's Pond is perched high up on a bluff looking over a lake with the Skyline of Montgomery in the background, scenic indeed!

The ICS-Chain Reaction Masters Machine of Staubach, Dudle and Hiott got the action started by sweeping the 35+ podium. Hardwick Gregg, Wendell Riley and Matt Holdbrooks took the steps in the 45+. Next up were the Juniors with Cullman's junior trio, Austin Oliver followed closely by Tyler Wilson and Will Faulk. The men's 4 race saw Bilich, Hall and Mattison pull away from another huge field to show that they will be 3/4 contenders very soon. Lennie Moon, Dusty Davis and Patrick Harking were in a break that was just impressive. They motered away from the pack and when it went to laps, Lennie Moon dropped the hammer showing that huge engine he has under the hood. The women were just impressive as they have been all year, showing the better part of the men's 3/4 field how it gets done (including yours truly).In the 1/2/3 race - Sandefur,Everts and Miller crushed it, while Natalie Smith, Stacy Davis and Deanna Steele ran away from the rest of the 3/4 field When the Men's 1/2/3 race took off, it was just amazing to watch the speed difference from any other race. All of the Men in the Elite field stuck together and looked as if they were pacelining for the first half of the race. Hurley, Fyfe and Curtis once again showed that they are the top dawgs in the BAMACROSS series and it was anybody's race. They were all motoring and eyeballing one another when Fyfe had a mishap and Curtis got some course tape jammed in the cassette. Hurley gave a look around and drilled it. Fyfe looked to be closing back in after a crash and kissing the barriers and Curtis was sneaking up behind him. Hurley crossed the line with 15-20 second margin and Fyfe and Curtis sprinted it out for second. We have yet to see the slugfest that is certain to happen this year between these three as Fyfe and Curtis have both suffered misfortunes at both events while Hurley seems to be riding on a silver cloud of crazy good luck (he flatted with 50 yards to go at avondale).

Take a breath and prepare for the relentless month of November where the gloves come off and we see the series contender come into form. Tuscaloosa is up next and if any of you know the Simpsons and the Druid City gang, you know it's going to be another top notch event you don't want to miss. Results will be posted later today. If you have pictures or picture album links, send me a line at marshallbrent at gmail dot com.

'Cross Rocks.

2 comments:

Wendell Riley said...

Just wanted to say what a great course and good time the Prattville BamaCross race was this Sunday! I’m a GA resident and normally race our series. I went down to the FL panhandle this past weekend to pick up a car (I’m the guy that had the 66 Mustang on the trailer in the parking lot) and left early in the AM Sunday to make the Bama race. I raced at your state championship race near B’ham several yrs ago and it’s great to see how your series has grown since then, kudos to all involved!

When I crossed the finish line I had no clue what place I was in with the combined 35/45 field and I did not stick around for the results to be posted. I had to turn in my U-haul trailer by 3:30 in Atlanta or get charged for another day so I basically raced and left. I see from your recap that I came in second, sorry I missed the podium presentation! Not sure what you guys do for prizes but if I have any swag coming my way just donate it to the juniors at your next race.

I see you have an open weekend in the BamaCross series on 16 Nov; you should all come and race the GA series that weekend. Unfortunately, the race is in Blairsville, way up north that week, so it may be a bit of a drive but it should be an interesting course with some elevation change up there. We need to pick a state line city and do a combined Bama/GA series race next year.

Just a shout out to David Hiott, who I chased around in the GA series a couple of yrs back. Sorry I didn’t have time to track you down after the race and chat a bit.

Thanks again for a great race!

Wendell Riley

dlhiott said...

Hey Wendell,

I was wondering who left their 2nd place prize bag. I was the race director for Cooter's Pond. I got so tired of you whooping me in GA, I decided to stay in Bama and have my own race (Ha!) Darned if you didn't track me down.

Anyway, I have your prize bag: 2nd Place Medal, Tifosi Q3 Glasses (w/ 4 lenses!) and a case of Cliff Bars.

Send an e-mail to president@compvelo.com with your mailing address and I will send your prizes to you. You earned 'em!

I am glad you had a good time and hopefully we'll get to see you again soon.

Dave Hiott